Thursday, October 01, 2020

BMW X1 Blinker Light

A couple of days ago, the blinker indicator inside the X1 started clicking at twice the speed. Furthermore, the broken light warning indicator came up on the driver dash. I thought that the bulb had gone out and would be an easy fix. Upon disassembling the broken bulb, I noticed that the bulb housing looked like it had partially melted. The filament on the bulb looked intact.


At this point, I thought that the vehicle may have a short around this contact. I took out the multimeter and confirmed that the bulb and the bulb housing were still intact electrically. Upon further inspection, I noticed that the contact was recessed into the plastic housing. Using a small screwdriver, I raised the contact by prying it away from the housing.


At this point, I cleaned the bulb and reinstalled it. The fixed worked.

I suspect the cause of the original issue is this. The contact was poorly designed. It was not high enough to maintain a robust contact with the main housing. Over time through each use of the bulb, minor sparks may have resulted due to gaps between the contacts. These sparks slowly deformed the plastic bulb housing. The proper fix for this may be to buy a new bulb housing.

No comments: