Friday, December 23, 2011

Slow package install in OpenWRT 10.03.1

OpenWRT Backfire 10.03.1 was recently released on 12/21/2011. If you need to install additional packages, the UI interfaces is very slow and unresponsive at times. You can get around this by installing packages from the command line. Here is an example showing how to install "wol." Of course, you will want to be sure you are pointing to the correct package repository for your device.

root@openwrt:/bin# opkg install http://downloads.openwrt.org/backfire/10.03.1/brcm47xx/packages/wol_0.7.1-2_brcm47xx.ipk

1 comment:

Mihai Coman said...

Hah. I have a crappy D-Link DIR-300 and I was always doing opkg update. So, probably because the packagelist was using all the ram, I was never able to install packages.
It never occured to me that I can specify the link directly. I think I tried 100 times before this.
Thank you, sir!